[governance] .xxx. igc and igf

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Apr 11 12:45:23 EDT 2007

(I've cut the cc list.  Just the list)

At 11:46 AM -0400 4/11/07, Lee McKnight wrote:
>Agreed, a workshop or really a workshop and a plenary discussion on
>ICANN Evolution at IGF II is  needed.

Good idea.

My guess is that ICANN evolution would be considered too narrow an
issue for a main session.  And may not be popular with some as it
would likely be seen as closely linked to enhanced cooperation (see
the transcripts of the February stocktaking meeting for ducking that
went on when enhanced cooperation was mentioned.)  But I tend to be
unadventurous in what I think possible (wishy-washy), so go for it.
Write up a proposal.

I think (hope) there will be a session discussing Internet resources
(allocation, management, policies.)  And as one of the suggestions we
made in February, and also requested by others, was for workshops to
be more tightly linked to the main sessions then discussing ICANN
broadly in the main session and going deeper in a workshop or
workshops should work.

Of course we should also (I hope) be suggesting that the same open
call for workshop proposals be repeated, it worked last year. Some of
the most popular workshops we on topics not covered by the main theme
(root servers, etc.)

Proposing sessions and workshops that build on discussions in Athens,
again so we can go deeper, may also be popular.  Can this ICANN
evolution idea be linked to outcomes of workshops IGP put on last
year. And what was the outcome of the workshop on the framework
convention?

>Doesn't directly affect the continual internal reorgs ICANN is going
>through, as it should, nor obviate the need for broader participation
>within iCANN whihc  Vittorio is reasonably calling for, but provides a
>second still broader venue for this debate - and maybe -
>recommendations.
>
>And, now that IGF I proved itself to be a useful place for broader
>dialogue, I suspect any a priori constraints on topics IGF II is 'free'
>to discuss are gone.

As I said, I hope not.  There was a pretty consistent message in the
stock taking exercise for more coordination of workshops (ensure
multistakeholder, etc, but link to the main themes, more focused, no
overlapping issues, merge similar proposals.  And IGC even suggested
the amount of time that should be devoted to discussion -- I thought
a bit controlling myself...)  But at the same time, people we pretty
consistent in saying the advisory group shouldn't insert itself too
much (bit of tension between not taking decisions on themes and then
being asked to get into more detail on workshops?)  Many thought the
number of workshops about right, but a similar number seemed to think
there was too much going on at the same time so it was hard to follow.

I hope the will be the same amount of freedom, but more coordination.
Generally tighter agenda.  But we are again running short of time to
arrange a large international conference.  Which is why suggestions
like this on themes are important.

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org