[governance] Where are we going?

Raul Echeberria raul at lacnic.net
Mon Apr 9 15:07:21 EDT 2007

At 03:10 p.m. 09/04/2007, Milton Mueller wrote:

> >Nobody express him/herself trhough a domain name.
>
>That is manifestly false.

Sorry, I forgot that you are the only owner of the true.

>  And if it were true, then there would be no
>need to censor or restrict the labels used in the TLD, right?

I don't see your point and the relation of this question with my positions.

> >I still think that nobody has demonstrated
> >that freedom of expression os
> >affected by this decision about .xxx.
>
>I would suggest that you have not been reading most of what is written
>here. (In other words, I can be as stubborn as you ;-)
>Besides, we are not simply discussing .xxx, we are discussing the
>policy implications of restricting strings that are controversial or
>offensive or troublesome to some members of the global community.

I have already expressed my view. There is no
need for repeting it, in spite of your offensive style.

>On relationship between expression and domain names see this:
>http://www.out-law.com/page-3313

Thank you. It doesn't change my mind. The domain
name is only an instrument. The important is the
content, even in this case that you mention.
Of course, as in any other case, there are some
instruments that are better than others.

> >So, the lack of a strong community
> >support (as Carlos already has said) is obvious.
>
>And as I have argued several times, if expression or ideas or
>businesses (no important distinction here) must get "community support"
>before they can be expressed

Nobody question the ability of persons of
expressing their ideas, or showing the contents
they want, even pronography, or doing business with those contents.

>or tried out, you don't have a free
>internet anymore. This issue goes well beyond .xxx
>
> >IMHO we are wasting time discussing this issue.
>
>You are welcome to stop discussing it. I think it's important and will
>continue expressing my concern about the implications.

Milton, don't be arrogant. You can not indirectly
invite me to stop participating in this
discussion. I can do it, and I will do it when I want.
And of course, you have all the right (that
anybody question) to continue expresssing your concerns, ideas or whatever.

Raúl

     governance at lists.cpsr.org