[governance] Where are we going?

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Mon Apr 9 14:10:38 EDT 2007

>>> raul at lacnic.net 4/9/2007 1:10:05 PM >>>
>Nobody express him/herself trhough a domain name.

That is manifestly false. And if it were true, then there would be no
need to censor or restrict the labels used in the TLD, right?

>I still think that nobody has demonstrated
>that freedom of expression os
>affected by this decision about .xxx.

I would suggest that you have not been reading most of what is written
here. (In other words, I can be as stubborn as you ;-)
Besides, we are not simply discussing .xxx, we are discussing the
policy implications of restricting strings that are controversial or
offensive or troublesome to some members of the global community.

On relationship between expression and domain names see this:
http://www.out-law.com/page-3313

>So, the lack of a strong community
>support (as Carlos already has said) is obvious.

And as I have argued several times, if expression or ideas or
businesses (no important distinction here) must get "community support"
before they can be expressed or tried out, you don't have a free
internet anymore. This issue goes well beyond .xxx

>IMHO we are wasting time discussing this issue.

You are welcome to stop discussing it. I think it's important and will
continue expressing my concern about the implications.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org