AW: [governance] Where are we going?

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Mon Apr 9 10:23:35 EDT 2007

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wrote:
> My conclusion from the debate so far is that there is a missing link in the mechanism of involved institutions and organisations. We all agree that ICANN should not go beyond its narrow defined technical mandate. A lot of us agree also that it should not be the GAC (alone) to make the final decision. Other IG organisations (potential partners in the process of enhanced cooperation) are even worse positioned to make such a decision. One conclusion could be to create a new multistakeholder body for cases like this which gets for very narrow defined cases a final decision making mandate. This could be a joint GAC/ICANN Working Group or something new. Any ideas?

The missing link is the institutionalisation of the process towards
enhanced cooperation.  Perhaps the IGF could evolve into a forum for
that process.  Yes I know that the IGF and enhanced cooperation are not
the same thing now, but we don't have *anything* to show for enhanced
cooperation now.  There is therefore no reason why, when the IGF is
reviewed following its fifth meeting, these two WSIS outcomes could not
be reintegrated.  The IGF would need to be restructured of course (it
does anyway), perhaps with the Bureau idea being revisited, but with
much more attention being paid to its structure and processes than was
shown in convening the Advisory Group.  These questions are amongst
those that the IGF itself should consider (though no, I don't think
that's likely to be allowed to happen).

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor
     governance at lists.cpsr.org