[governance] Where are we going?

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law froomkin at law.miami.edu
Mon Apr 9 09:36:09 EDT 2007

I understand why you would say that.  But here's why I'm much less certain
about the lack of importance of mere regulation of business models than
you are:  I believe that it is very important to enforce (create) the idea
that ICANN's job is purely technical.  Once we accept that it *can*
regulate business models we've in a sense lost our virginity and anything
-- including content -- might come next.

This is not fanciful.  Consider the extraordinary push by the copyright
interests here in the USA.  Just this week they are pushing a bill in
California to basically let them break into any  computer that they think
has been used to breach a copyright.   Imagine what they might try to get
up to in the DNS.  I'd rather not even have that debate.

So the "mere" regulation of business models is in fact -- in my view -- a
Big Deal for the precedent it sets.

--
http://www.icannwatch.org   Personal Blog: http://www.discourse.net
A. Michael Froomkin   |    Professor of Law    |   froomkin at law.tm