[governance] Where are we going?

Raul Echeberria raul at lacnic.net
Sun Apr 8 20:16:12 EDT 2007

Robin:

I was commenting Milton's email.
He doesn't accept any kind of "intervention" in
an economic activity. It is what he says.
His positions is very liberal, and so, he is
analaysing everything from this perspective.

At least in Latinamerica, it is very uncommon
that organizatios of civil socieyt hold this kind
of ultra (or extreme) liberal positions.
What this debate shows is that there is not a
common view in civil society regarding this
point. It is difficult to criticize the
individuals that voted in ICANN Board (note that
I said individuals, because we are talking about
the positions of the Directors who voted against
or in favor, and not about ICANN as an
institution) when civil society is not able to have a common view.

In my perspective, this debate is not about
freedom of expression, as many other colleagues
have already pointed out. It is about  freedom in
the Internet market, as Milton said in the email
that I commented, and, I guess, this is not an
issue that civil society organizations in
developing countries are very worried about. May
be I am wrong, but this is my perception.
IMHO this is a very US (or most developed and
liberal countries) centric view. Yes, the
difference between north and south (to be very
generic) are also seen sometimes in civil society positions.

Raúl

     governance at lists.cpsr.org