[governance] Where are we going?

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 11:35:09 EDT 2007

Well, Avri,

As usual, an interesting request for precision :-)

You wrote : "the principles were quite specific (as you said) about
applying to all decisions made after the communiqué was released."

The exact quote from the text is :
"for the purposes and scope of this document, new gTLDs are defined as any
gTLDs added to the Top Level domain name space after the date of the
adoption of these principles by the GAC."

The two formulations are slightly different : one speaks about "decisions"
and the other one about "addition".

Still, now that you put your finger on it, I understand that the communiqué
could be interpreted the way you do. The only thing I can say is that when
drafting the document and this paragraph in particular, the GAC clearly had
in mind the future wave of TLDs and not the upcoming decision on .xxx.

Even in discussions within the GAC, .xxx as such was treated as aseparate
matter and agenda item. I do not think there was an idea within the GAC that
the Board would apply the gTLD principles to its decision on .xxx. And I do
not think it did. As a matter of fact, this is why a special section of the
Lisbon GAC communiqué was devoted to  .xxx and I understand the Board's
decision referred only to GAC communiqués.

Hope this clarifies the situation. But the question was worth asking.

Best

Bertrand

On 4/6/07, Avri Doria <avri at psg.com> wrote:

> On 6 apr 2007, at 10.10, Bertrand de La Chapelle wrote:
>
> > 1) the Board's decision on .xxx was only refering to the GAC's
> > Communiqués and not to the GAC new gTLD Principles :
> > - these Principles were only adopted in Lisbon and are intended to
> > apply only to future calls for proposals (this is explicitedly
> > mentionned in the text)
> > - the decision regarding .xxx was - and had to be - in relation to
> > the initial call for proposals as far as the sponsorship criteria
> > evaluation was concerned.
>

> the board decision was taken the day after the principles communiqué
> came out and the principles were quite specific (as you said) about
> applying to all decisions made after the communiqué was released.
>
> of course i do not know whether the board took the communique into
> account during their end stage deliberations, but i would very
> surprised if they hadn't.  i am not sure i see where they responded
> to them in the decision.
>

> a.____________________________________________________________
>      governance at lists.cpsr.org

Bertrand de La Chapelle
Délégué Spécial pour la Société de l'Information / Special Envoy for the
Information Society
Ministère des Affaires Etrangères / French Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Tel : +33 (0)6 11 88 33 32

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no better mission for humans than uniting humans")