[governance] Where are we going?

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Fri Apr 6 12:22:18 EDT 2007

Hi Tom,

I think my words below quoted were not as sufficient as should be.

My original intent was, a new GTLD proposal should be put in place
only when there is a strong consensus by the community, in this case
ICANN constituencies. Yet as we all saw, that proposal could not gain
the consensus, rather, majority of the Board said No. I think we should
follow that decision, in this case as no consensus to put forward the
proposal was reached.

[Correct me if I am wrong] I think, your comment on Milton's recognized
infinite regress may continue, unless we reach meta-consensus
on the general framework of introducing the new TLDs, which I am
not sure if could ever reach, but should try hard. For that, in the long run,
I tend to agree with what Karl is suggesting  - to have many TLDs as
long as they do no harm technically.

Until that be agreed by consensus, only limited number of TLDs be
introduced, in which case some degree of cultural, social, value
judgement might be inevitable, again, unless we reach a strong
consensus not to do so, which is very unlikely. By "we" I mean
not only supply side of DNS, but also individual users, non-commercial
users, business users, and governments/GAC etc.

Though I like ICANN to be as much a narrow technical coordination
entity as possible, the reality it is surrounded by does not allow that, and we
must see that reality composed of political, economical, social,
cultural, ethical, if you like, and technical dimensions, all together.

Just sticking in technical area only and live in hopes and dreams does
not give us any solution I am afraid.

Of course, I like to see much more innovations to come.

Thanks,

izumi

--
                      >> Izumi Aizu <<