[governance] Where are we going?

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 11:17:12 EDT 2007

Dear Willie,

On 4/6/07, wcurrie at apc.org <wcurrie at apc.org> wrote:

> Thanks Bertrand.
>
> 1) The GAC Operating Prinicples I was looking at were amended at Mar del
> Plata in April 2005, so I took them to be the principles that would govern
> the GAC's actions during the period of the .xxx application. Am I wrong in
> thinking this?

Unless I'm mistaken, the Mar del Plata Principles were related to ccTLDs.
There may be common sets of principles, but ccTLD principles are not
appropriate to deal with .xxx application. In addition, the timing is still
mostly posterior to the call for proposals.

2) The Wellington Communique is referenced in the Lisbon Communique and is
> now inscibed into the reasons given by the Board, so it has a material
> bearing on those decisions, as i explore in my subsequent post.

Regarding your second post, I won't comment on your remarks except to say
that one benefit of the .xxx discussion is to  put on the agenda the
question of the appropriate modalities of interaction between the different
categories of stakeholders within ICANN.

In particular, it only demonstrates, as I have repeatedly said in the public
fora, the need to have more systematic interaction between GAC members and
other constituencies within ICANN early in the discussion of issues. Not so
much because of the "rights" of governments but because it is useful. The
point is to identify as early as possible the different technical, social,
economic and political dimensions of a given issue.

I have been defending the multi-stakeholder principle within civil society
for four years within the UN process of WSIS. I am defending today the same
principle of multi-stakeholder interaction in the different space of ICANN
regarding the useful role of government involvement.  Not because I would
have orders to do it; but because it's the same constructive battle and I
believe in it. Everything in the last five years has confirmed in my
experience that positions elaborated within closed constituencies are
difficult to reconcile at a later stage and that early multi-stakeholder
interaction is essential to generate consensus. It is valid for interaction
among governments in UN-like fora and for business-technical communities
interactions in the ICANN context.

The .xxx issue was a test case. Early interaction was weak and we must learn
from it. Irrespective of what happens now, if it were to lead us to deper
analysis of principles and working methods, it would not be useless.

Best

Bertrand

willie