[governance] Where are we going?

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 09:39:20 EDT 2007

Demi,

As you make that reference, just a few precisions regarding the French
regime in schools :
1) this is applicable to public schools - not to confessional schools, a lot
of which exist;
2) the key notion here is "laïcité" or the clear distinction between church
and state;
3) the exact term was not "abusive" display of religious symbols but
"ostensible" display, meaning very visible - no notion of abuse here.

More generally, the law adopted in 2004 folllowed a very intense debate, not
unlike the one we are facing here. In my view, it tried to strike a
difficult balance between different and equally viable principles : respect
for cultures and religions, defense of a major republican principle in
France, laicity.

Best

On 4/6/07, Demi Getschko <trieste at gmail.com> wrote:

> Agreed, Bertrand!
>
> And just one more thing: I think all of us agree that in France there
> is freedom to profess any religion. Notwithstanding (and here I am
> *not* discussing the merit of the decision, just trying to make a
> distinction between free speech and free display of signs and,
> tentatively, one more analogy with TLDs), the France government in
> some way restricts public abusive display of religious symbols in the
> schools, like big crosses, the veil, the kippah etc etc.
> Best
>
> demi
>

> On 4/6/07, Bertrand de La Chapelle <bdelachapelle at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello to all,
> >
> > Two simple remarks - on a personal basis :
> >
> > On the Milton / George debate :
> >
> >  As it has already been mentionned, there are two extreme options that
> > simply do not work :
> >  - anything accepted / legal in one country / culture should be accepted
> /
> > legal on the Internet as a whole;
> >  - anything forbidden / illegal in one country / culture  should be
> > forbidden on the Internet as a whole.
> >
> >  Once we accept these two options must be out of the table, we are
> > confronted with much simpler questions : what should be the rules to
> > organize the coexistence of different value sets in the common space of
> the
> > Internet ? how are we going to discuss them ? and more than anything :
> where
> > ?
> >

> > Regarding the Demi / Karl discussion :
> >
> > In the physical world, cultural spaces and the corresponding communities
> are
> > separated by some physical distance : the agreed public signs for each
> > community progressively evolve along a sort of geographic continuum. To
> take
> > Karl's pertinent example of the cross : the symbol is very present in
> > countries with strong christian communities, much less in countries with
> > other dominant religions. Likewise for "porn" : any pharmacy in France
> today
> > - or many  advertising billboards for that matter -  display images of
> women
> > so naked that they wouldn't have even been allowed in the "porn" mags of
> my
> > youth and they would be considered very offensive for people with very
> > strong muslim moral references for instance. I
> >
> > Community references evolve and what is agreed at one time in one zone
> is
> > deifferent from what is accepted as common in another time or another
> zone.
> > This is just a fact. And, let's be clear, this is why countries
> implemented
> > borders and sometimes fought aggressively to defend their own conception
> of
> > society rules - for better or worse.

> [...]

Bertrand de La Chapelle
"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no better mission for humans than uniting humans")