[governance] Where are we going?

Robin Gross robin at ipjustice.org
Thu Apr 5 13:36:47 EDT 2007

There seems to be some confusion about what speech is being regulated in
a new gtld policy that prohibits controversial ideas in the string.
Countries who outlaw abortion are not forced into a conversation about
abortion because a gtld of .abortion has been created.  Countries are
very good at blocking access to domain names that offend them.  I was in
Tunis and tried to access a number of websites that discuss civil
liberties and was not able to because the government blocked their
access.  They didn't need ICANN to prevent that speech for them.

 "We" are not in a position to impose a conversation about abortion in
countries that choose to block .abortion.  The govt makes that decision
for that country and blocks access.  But ICANN policy will be imposed on
everyone.  If ICANN chooses to prevent .abortion because some countries
are offended by it then those who have chosen to have that conversation
and who have a legal right to that conversation are prevented.

What you are saying is that "we" may not have a discussion at .abortion.

Imposing all intolerances cumulatively on everyone is a terrible policy
choice.  Please leave room for those who want to have a discussion at
.abortion to have that discussion.  Please do not decide for everyone in
the world that that conversation can't happen because that right has not
evolved in all countries.  Those countries will block that speech
without needing ICANN to prevent it.

Robin

     governance at lists.cpsr.org