[governance] Where are we going?

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Thu Apr 5 14:26:46 EDT 2007

Robin Gross ha scritto:
> Imposing all intolerances cumulatively on everyone is a terrible policy
> choice.  Please leave room for those who want to have a discussion at
> .abortion to have that discussion.  Please do not decide for everyone in
> the world that that conversation can't happen because that right has not
> evolved in all countries.  Those countries will block that speech
> without needing ICANN to prevent it.

I'm not saying that ICANN should only approve what is approved by
everyone. It should not reject only what is rejected by everyone,
though. There needs to be dialogue, consensus building and, in the end,
an attempt to respect everyone's opinions.

Still, while I see the outrage and strong sentiments that such a
proposal would stir, I fail to see what would be the advancement in
rights determined by hosting a discussion on abortion at
www.pro.abortion rather than at www.proabortion.com. I take the
consideration about personal freedom, but I also see some people's
private sensitivities being harmed with no practical gain. I have no
final opinion on this, but I can't help wondering what's the point of that.
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------
     governance at lists.cpsr.org