[governance] Where are we going?

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Thu Apr 5 18:02:54 EDT 2007

>>> George Sadowsky <george.sadowsky at attglobal.net> 4/5/2007 3:08 PM
>>>
>I think that what is missing in your argument is the recognition
>that we live in a multicultural world and that the Internet is a
>global phenomenon.

No. It is precisely the multicultural, diverse nature of the world that
animates my desire to prevent ICANN from becoming a chokepoint. Such a
chokepoint, as Robin eloquently put it, becomes a way of "imposing all
intolerances cumulatively on everyone."

Try to understand that, please.

The TLD selection criteria being considered by ICANN will constantly
pit one culture against another. It invites people to view TLD creation
as a conferral of global approval and legitimacy on one set of ideas
rather than as coordination of unique strings, the meaning of which
different nations and cultures can negotiate and regulate according to
their own norms.

>A minimum of decency and respect for the
>sensitivities of others would go a long way in making the
>evolution of Internet governance less contentious and more
>productive

I understand this argument. Vittorio was making the same point.
There is something to be said for it, as a guide to _personal_ conduct.
But translated into institutionalized rules, it is a recipe for
systematic suppression of diversity and dissent. If you are prevented by
law from saying something that offends anyone, then your expression is
seriously restricted. Global policy making processes for resource
assignment are not the greatest way to enforce "decency and respect for
sensitivities." Of course that does not mean I advocate going out of my
way to offend people, just because it is legal to do it. And yes, there
are jerks who will do that. But I think the problems posed by a few
insensitive jerks is much smaller than putting into place a global
machinery that encourages organized groups to object to and challenge
the non-violent expressions of others.

Anyway, I think we are finally getting to the core of the disagreement.
The .xxx rejection was not fundamentally about its so-called lack of
community support, or about concerns that it would lead ICANN into
contractual content regulation. It was about this.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org