[governance] Where are we going?

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Thu Apr 5 16:00:52 EDT 2007

George,
I agree with your statements, esp. the ones on the fact that often
people from the US forget that the other cultures are quite different
from their own.

thanks for making this point!

At 02:08 PM 4/5/2007  -0500, George Sadowsky wrote:
>Milton,
>
>I'm focusing solely upon the character strings that make up TLDs.
>I'm not focusing on free speech in other aspects of domain naming,
>or of life in general.  In particular, I'm not talking about any
>level of a domain name other than the top level.
>
>What I am arguing is that there are character strings that, in a
>multicultural world, are broadly and specifically very offensive,
>and that the Internet will not suffer if one or more of those are
>not chosen as TLD names.
>
>BTW, my comment in Lisbon was an exaggerated caricature and was
>meant have some humorous content, contrasting espousal of free
>speech with the requirement that everyone must accept it.  I'm sorry
>if you didn't recognize it as such.  You are obviously not a nazi;
>we both understand that.
>
>I think that what is missing in your argument is the recognition
>that we live in a multicultural world and that the Internet is a
>global phenomenon.  A minimum of decency and respect for the
>sensitivities of others would go a long way in making the evolution
>of Internet governance less contentious and more
>productive  ---  WITHOUT IN ANY WAY compromising the ability of the
>Internet to contain or provide any kind of legal content on it.
>
>What's wrong with that?

Veni Markovski
http://www.veni.com

check also my blog:
http://blog.veni.com

The opinions expressed above are those of the author,
not of any organizations, associated with or related to
the author in any given way.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org