[governance] Where are we going?

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at attglobal.net
Wed Apr 4 09:26:48 EDT 2007

Karl,

Thank you for refocusing the discussion on a much more central issue.
Some comments:

First, the word "multi-stakeholder" has quickly become a central
phrase in politically correct speech.  Presumably stakeholders
represent individual and family interests, but it's not uncommon that
people and organizations that declare themselves stakeholders, or
representatives of a stakeholder community, are self-appointed.  I
much prefer your focus on individuals and families as the ultimate
beneficiaries of the system of Internet governance that we would like
to have.

Second, we should not confuse restricting the choice of labels for
global top level domains with restricting free speech in the content
of the net.  They are vastly different.  I think that it would be
easy to get the nazi community support for a a .nazi TLD.  Does that
mean, in a context of Internet governance larger than ICANN, that it
should be implemented?  I think not.  But the absence of such a TLD
will not prevent web sites with a lot of nazi hate speech from
existing.  I haven't looked, but I'm sure that they exist and are
well known to that community.

Third, it is increasingly clear that U.S. standards, whether
cultural, moral, or legal, are just one set of standards in a world
community, and that U.S. standards per se, just because they are U.S.
standards, should not be adopted as the prevailing norms of the
Internet.  There are cultural collisions in our world, and if we want
the Internet to grow to be what we want it to be, I believe that we
need to take them into account at a minimal level at least, and not
take steps that are sure to provoke conflict.

If ICANN is to remain a technical body, then this level of discussion
must necessarily occur outside its technical functions.  The
discussion regarding appropriateness of the semantic and emotional
implication of what are essentially top-level very visible labels,
simply has to be a part of any overall global Internet governance
scheme that has the possibility of long run survival.  Perhaps this
is an area that can appropriately be assigned to a future GAC that
may be constituted somewhat differently and that may fit somewhat
differently into the ICANN structure.  For if this function is not
somehow subsumed within a larger ICANN, it will become the province
of other bodies that are not likely to execute it nearly as well.

I worry that the "free speech imperialism" that characterizes some
positions regarding TLDs and the segmentation of the domain name
space espoused today is an unproductive attempt to foist a moderately
narrow and parochial view of the world onto a global structure, and
that it will be counterproductive.  The issue of what are to be the
top level labels in a labelling scheme is surely far less important
than many of the issues that the global Internet faces, such as very
substantial restriction of content in some places, denial of access,
and invasion of private information and communication.  In my opinion
it is more important for us to find a relatively harmonious way to
move ahead on the TLD issue, without insisting upon continuing to
promote those that lead to very substantial dispute.

In addition to thanking Karl for starting to refocus the discussion,
I thank David Goldstein, Vittorio Bertola, and Alejandro Pisanty for
their thoughtful comments.

George Sadowsky

     governance at lists.cpsr.org