[governance] Where are we going?

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Wed Apr 4 03:57:14 EDT 2007

The discussion seems to be swirling about the .xxx decision.

We all have our points of view.

I know that I only have so many mental cycles per day to absorb and
think about this stuff, and I'd rather move forward than spin endlessly.

So what I'm asking here is this:  What kind of governance do we want for
the internet?  Implicit in that question is another question about what
things do we want governed, what things do we want to leave to
individual or community choice, and what things do we want to leave to
existing or evolving real governments and their laws?

My own personal feeling is that not only do we need to know where we
want to go but also what values and principles should guide us.

And (again) my own personal feeling is that we ought to empower the
creativity and aspirations of individual people to create better
families, better communities, better nations; that the concept of
"stakeholder" gets us off on the wrong foot right from the start.

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org