[governance] Update on voting for charter

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Sep 28 09:00:22 EDT 2006

Hi,

Only 4 days left and 20 people shy of quorum!

If you haven't voted, please do so soon (before end of day 2 October).
If any of your friends haven't voted yet, please remind them
personally to vote.

If we don't meet quorum on this vote as defined in the proposed
charter, then the last few months of work will be lost and the caucus
will essentially need to start the process anew.  Personally I think
it is time to elect real coordinators and to get on with the real
work of this caucus.

thanks.
a.

-

Reminder on how to vote:

This a 4 part ballot open until the end of day 2 Oct 2006

To vote:
- send plain text email to:  igc-voters at igcaucus.org
- with the correct subject (shown below)
- with the proper command (shown below)

1. Base charter

Subject:  IGC Charter vote

--->if you support the charter then your message body should look like:
eVote yes

-->if you do not support the charter then your message body should
look like:
eVote no

---------------------------
2. Is voting open or closed

Subject: igc voting style

--> if you support that all voting be by secret vote then your
message body should look like:
eVote
1. y

--> if you support open voting with the option of a closed vote then
your message body should look like:
eVote
2. y

---------------------------------------

3. How is the IGC Appeals team selected

Subject: IGC Appeals Team vote

--> if you support using a nominating committee process to select the
appeals team then your message body should look like:
eVote
1. y

--> if you support using a voting process to select the appeals team
then your message body should look like:
eVote
2. y

-----------

4. How does the IGC pick its nominees for other bodies, e.g. the IGF
advisory group

Subject: IGC Nominations vote

--> if you support using a nominating committee process to select the
slates of nominees then your message body should look like:
eVote
1. y

--> if you support using a voting process to select the nominees then
your message body should look like:
eVote
2. y

Note it is important that the message body be
- plain text
- eVote is the first word in the first line with no characters, not
even spaces, proceeding it
- for those cases [2-4] where there is a second line of the message
-- the number must be the first character in the second line
-- there must be a space between the period and the y

Also note, that you can check on the status of the vote with:  eVote
info
and that you can change your vote any time until the vote closes by
voting again

For the adventurous: there are more things you do, to find out what
send a message:
eVote help

---------------------------------
---------------------------------
---------------------------------
Examples of the messages one sends

A participant in the caucus wrote and asked for a more explicit
'dummies guide to voting in the IGC'.  Since I created one for that
purpose, I figure I might as well append it for anyone interested in
explicit directions.

You send 4 different plain text messages.
The message must start on the first line, i.e. no spaces or carriage
returns at the top of the message

In the following examples, lines that start with -- are not part of
the message you send, they are dividers or instructions.

Note the line with end is not absolutely necessary, but if it is
there, then you will be safe if your email application inserts junk
at the end of the  message, e.g those lengthy IP statement some
companies have or those ads that some web email appends.

--
-- email 1.
--

-- if you approve of the charter:

To: igc-voters at igcaucus.org
eVote yes
end

-- if you don't approve of the charter

To: igc-voters at igcaucus.org
eVote no
end

--
-- email 2:
--

-- If you think that all voting should be secret

To: igc-voters at igcaucus.org
eVote
1. y
end

-- If you think that all voting should be open with the possibility
of a closed vote

To: igc-voters at igcaucus.org
eVote
2. y
end

--
-- email 3.
--

-- If you think that the appeals team should be selected by a nomcom

To: igc-voters at igcaucus.org
eVote
1. y
end

-- If you think that the appeals teams should be selected by voting

To: igc-voters at igcaucus.org
eVote
2. y
end

--
-- email 4.
--

-- If you think nominees to other bodies, such as IGF AG should be
done by a Nomcom

To: igc-voters at igcaucus.org
eVote
1. y
end

-- If you think that nominees to other bodfies, such as IGF AG should
be done by voting

To: igc-voters at igcaucus.org
eVote
2. y
end

--
-- end of examples
--

As always please let me know about any difficulties you may experience.

thanks
a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org