[governance] BBC E-mail: Everyone talks, but no-one listens

Kwasi kboakye1 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 27 14:10:34 EDT 2006

Kwasi saw this story on the BBC News website and thought you
should see it.

** Message **
Below is a quote from the linked article, and I hope he's wrong:

"There will be fine words spoken and important commitments are bound to be entered into, but behind the self-congratulation and sense of achievement the impact is likely to be minimal.

Until we start holding politicians in more open, democratic societies to account for the decisions they make regarding the internet there will never be any real pressure to make things better, and next week's IGF meeting is not going to do that. "

** Everyone talks, but no-one listens **
Regular columnist Bill Thompson wonders what the net's new talking shop will actually achieve.
< http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/1/hi/technology/6091282.stm >

** BBC Daily E-mail **
Choose the news and sport headlines you want - when you want them, all
in one daily e-mail
< http://www.bbc.co.uk/email >

** Disclaimer **
The BBC is not responsible for the content of this e-mail, and anything written in this e-mail does not necessarily reflect the BBC's views or opinions. Please note that neither the e-mail address nor name of the sender haveĀ been verified.

If you do not wish to receive such e-mails in the future or want to know more about the BBC's Email a Friend service, please read our frequently asked questions. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/help/4162471.stm
     governance at lists.cpsr.org