[governance] Caucus Statement: another proposal

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Oct 26 17:18:33 EDT 2006

> Part of why I bothered to put time into this I really didn't

> have was

> because of this message, sent by you on Oct. 23, responding

> to Parminder's

> questions:

Adam's latest email greatly surprised me as well on this count....

> > But as a member of the caucus I am bothered but a

> procedural point --

> > we have just undergone an incredibly long and painful

> process to agree

> > a charter and process, isn't this last minute draft exactly

> the kind

> > of thing the re-chartering was to avoid?

I did not understand this point at all... How is chartering to avoid last
minute drafts... I in fact may rather think that it can enable some last
minute processes. Milton also have lamented such 'last minute efforts' which
he thinks are doomed to failure. But I think purposeful advocacy spaces are
not like research or academic activities. It is very often opportunistic,
and a lot of such last minute kind of activities are involved. If countries
can work our internationally agreed and often binding texts in the last
confused hours - as we saw at WSIS, so can the CS. And if WSIS isnt a great
example of useful outputs, I am sure similar last minute activities must lie
behind the more useful policy documents - on subjects like human rights,
MDGs, climate change and such.

With the failure of a simple exercise when we have tried to post points
which all come from IGF mandate related texts, which have been often agreed
on in the IGC during the WSIS, into an opportunistic space, we need to
review how effective are we as an advocacy group.

And often I am not able to understand if differences on procedures really
hide far-reaching differences on substantive points. We need to discuss
substantive views more seriously - without of course aspiring for anything
like homogeneity.  For it is futile to try to get some consensus on what we
think is the broad ambit of the mandate of the IGC in terms of its
effectiveness in global IG related public policy arena when Jeanette still
insists on comparing IGF with Giganet (in her email to Bill) - when the
whole point of the present exercise was to see that it is not reduced to a
conference - and McTim just refuses to see a public policy related role of
IGC and sees only a capacity building function for it.

> Yes it is, but at the time people were saying we need a

> statement, shouldn't

> waste the opportunity, etc.

I think we needed it. We can now lament it after the event.

 >Whatever, let's move on.

Yes, time for it :)

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh