[governance] Caucus Statement: another proposal

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Thu Oct 26 15:42:41 EDT 2006

Hi Adam,

> From: Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp>

> I don't see the meeting as a statement'y kind of place. There won't be
> statements from the floor.
>
> The time for statements of this kind was before August 2.  We blew it.

Part of why I bothered to put time into this I really didn't have was
because of this message, sent by you on Oct. 23, responding to Parminder's
questions:

> From: Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp>

> There's a "setting the scene" session on the afternoon of the first
> day that might be a good time to ask some of these questions, and a
> "taking-stock and the way forward" session on the final day for
> others.
>
> We could submit them as questions from the caucus (if agreed). Or you
> can send them as individuals.  Or I and I think other CS members of
> the MAG would be happy to deliver them. Or someone can send them in
> remotely, or blog them and Kieren might pick them up.
>
> IGF seems to be ignoring a large part of it's mandate
> (<http://www.intgovforum.org/mandate.htm>)  It would be good to ask
> why, but better to discuss how to we can start to address the
> overlooked issues. (does why matter as much as improving things?)

Parminder then suggested that I draft something based on his questions, and
I did, asking the very point you said should be asked.   The statement also
raises issues you say in today's message should be raised, e.g.

> Para 6, (3) Delete 1st sentence.  Yes, we do need online working
> groups. They have been raised in MAG and so far not been accepted.
> Important that this is also raised as part of setting the scene.

Nevertheless,

> But as a member of the caucus I am bothered but a procedural point --
> we have just undergone an incredibly long and painful process to agree
> a charter and process, isn't this last minute draft exactly the kind
> of thing the re-chartering was to avoid?

Yes it is, but at the time people were saying we need a statement, shouldn't
waste the opportunity, etc.  Whatever, let's move on.

Cheerio,

Bill

     governance at lists.cpsr.org