[governance] Civil Society at IGF opening ceremony

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu Oct 26 05:02:12 EDT 2006

We were asked to recommend a person from civil society to speak at
the opening ceremony of IGF, morning of Monday 30 October.  There
wasn't much time to make a choice, so my apologies for the lack of
democracy in the selection process -- my fault if anyone's.

We have recommended Natasha Primo, Executive Director of Women's Net
<http://www.womensnet.org.za>, one of the most impressive women's and
ICT organizations in Africa.  Natasha is also Chair of APC.

Thought it particularly important to bring gender issues forward in
IGF as they are not well represented in any of the panel sessions.
And I am sure Natasha will listen to comments from the Caucus.

We were not asked to find a representative of civil society.  But
someone who could present some civil society perspective on the IGF,
perhaps our hopes and aspirations for it. Natasha will have exactly 7
minutes speaking time.

We will also be asked for suggest a person from civil society for the
closing ceremony. Also 7 minutes.

I expect this will be more a reaction to the week and developments in
Athens. No need to select anyone yet, the person may stand out as
things develop in Athens.

Thanks,

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org