[governance] Caucus Statement: another proposal

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Wed Oct 25 18:40:06 EDT 2006

Parminder wrote:
>>  Anyway, I think this and any other tweaks are probably moot,
>>  as a dialogue
>>  among five or six people isn't a basis for caucus statement.
>>  If someone
>>  wants to do a sign-on for this version, yours, or
>>  Parminder's, maybe we
>>  could pull that off, but I'm not sinking more time into this,
>
> But the problem is that IGF is an (potentially) important institution
> for IG, and some of these questions are crucial to be asked in the first
> meeting. Otherwise its character will be cast… And if we do not ask
> them, in all probability, nobody else is going to…
>
> Can we so easily give up on this responsibility…

It does seem to me like a bit of a wasted opportunity, yes.  I'd have
hoped we could have taken it that silence from any would-be dissenters
meant consensus.  If we can't use Bill's draft in that way, then it
seems to me we can only fall back to the model of a petition.

May I then, Parminder and Vittorio, publicise Vittorio's most recent
draft of the version the three of us contributed to
(http://igfwatch.org/petition) more widely in an attempt to gain support
for a unified position from civil society, though not from the IGC?
Please let me know within a few hours as I depart for Athens today.

PS. Also if you agree can you print it and some signature pages out
     and bring them to Athens?  Too late for me to do so.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor
     governance at lists.cpsr.org