[governance] National vs. International was Re: Program for IGC at IGF

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Oct 25 00:48:05 EDT 2006

>>Avri Doria wrote:
>>>in many localities, the cheapest access, is that provided by the
>>>community for free.
>>Touché.
>>How can we feed this in the access session of the IGF?
>
>Not sure.  but we make sure people talk about it.
>Business forces have certainly been fighting
>this trend with every weapon possible.  It might
>be good to get together a document that list all
>the place where business and national government
>have colluded to make this more difficult or
>even impossible.

What do you mean when you say business have been
fighting this trend -- municipal Wi-Fi and fiber?
And who is business, telcos and cable companies?
(Google?)

If you are talking about municipal broadband, the
trend has changed.  Many are now developing as
public/private partnerships.  Even AT&T is
bidding for (and winning) contracts to build and
run muni Wi-Fi networks.  Legislation in the US
(draft) favors municipalities.

Europe is beginning to see fiber deployments led
by municipalities. Open network model:
commissioned and at least part owned by the
municipality, run by the city or a contracted
service provider, and then made available to any
service provider that wishes to offer service
over the network. Amsterdam the leader in this.

It is good <http://www.citynet.nl/upload/Muni-fiber-in-Europe-october-2006.pdf>

Though not really relevant to access in
developing countries.  But the recent Bill Moyers
'The Net at Risk' documentary (PBS, streaming
online at the moment here
<http://www.pbs.org/moyers/moyersonamerica/net/index.html>)
has discussion at the beginning relevant to some
of Parminder's comments about public investment
in infrastructure.  How in the 1990s the RBOCs
got tax breaks and rate relief in the promise of
building out fiber ... took the cash and didn't
build the network.  US broadband now generally
sucks (given that the US was for so long the
leader in all things Internet.) Japan was similar
-- a lot of tax break type subsidy for building
network infrastructure, which actually was used
to build network and is now the core of the
broadband growth and cheap service we enjoy.
Japan has not subsidized residential broadband
per se, but in the past subsidized elements that
have now enable very successful and competitive
commercial residential broadband.

Adam

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org