[governance] IGC's questions to the IGF

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Tue Oct 24 09:33:36 EDT 2006

Hello,

> From: Jeremy Malcolm <Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au>

> Would you have time to make the suggested changes yourself to the online
> version at http://igfwatch.org/petition/?  Log in with "vb" and "temp01"
> then click "Turn admin on" and then the "Edit" button nearest to the
> title of the petition.

The petition is nicely done. Nevertheless, with all due respect, I don't
think it provides an appropriate starting point for a caucus statement.
Three concerns: 1) To put it bluntly, I fear it could elicit giggles and
grumbles if the caucus were to adopt the same style governments use in UN
declaration, replete with committing, considering, affirming, etc.
phraseology.  A little too self-important for a motley crew of humble CS
types.  2) We're not "petitioning" royals to hear our case, we're stating
our position.  3) If we hit too many points, none will resonate or be taken
up subsequently.  I think we should shoot for three maximum.

A couple of people have suggested I take a crack at it, so I will send
something fairly brief in the next hour or two.  Will read the list first to
see if there are suggestions to fold in. Then we can rip apart this version
as well;-)

BD

     governance at lists.cpsr.org