[governance] National vs. International was Re: Program for IGC at IGF

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Tue Oct 24 03:04:18 EDT 2006

On 24 okt 2006, at 08.39, Ralf Bendrath wrote:

> Avri Doria wrote:
>> in many localities, the cheapest access, is that provided by the
>> community for free.
> Touché.
> How can we feed this in the access session of the IGF?

Not sure.  but we make sure people talk about it.
Business forces have certainly been fighting this trend with every
weapon possible.  It might be good to get together a document that
list all the place where business and national government have
colluded to make this more difficult or even impossible.

>> i do not beleive  any of them will give up their greed, corruption
>> or nationalist  interests without the pressure that can only be
>> generated  internationally.
> Question (not rethorically, not meant to defend national regulation):
> How do we fend off greed, corruption or particularist interests on
> the international level?

I think that transparency goes a long way here.  In the national
setting it is very easy for the government to stifle the press and
even the net.  On the international stage it is more difficult,
especially if groups like this keep up the pressure.

a.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org