[governance] Some national, some international (Was: Program for IGC at IGF

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Mon Oct 23 16:40:32 EDT 2006

On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 11:51:34AM -0400,
 George Sadowsky <george.sadowsky at attglobal.net> wrote
 a message of 115 lines which said:

> that many (the great majority in my opinion) of the issues under
> discussion with respect to the Internet are national and
> sub-national issues, not international issues.

There is no sense in saying that every issue depends on ICANN, but
there is also none in saying that ICANN does not exist and that
everything stays at the national level.

Actually, some issues are unequivocally international in nature
(management of the DNS root zone file being a typical example) and
should be treated as such. I wish that the IGF concentrates on these
issues.

Multilinguism, for instance, is typically a non-international matter
(apart from the technical standardization, which is mostly done, and a
few details like IDN.IDN). It may seem a paradox but today, there is
not much to ask ICANN about multilinguism (except to shut up about
IDN, which would avoid many of the mistakes they made). The
multilinguism now depend mostly on users (content authors, software
authors, etc).

     governance at lists.cpsr.org