[governance] Program for IGC at IGF

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Mon Oct 23 11:36:13 EDT 2006

George Sadowsky ha scritto:
> I don't claim to be able to explain the behavior of the Internet
> industry in all countries, but I will claim that an unbiased competitive
> environment is generally essential, and government policy matters a lot
> in achieving it.

I agree, but the competitive environment has proved not to be able to
solve a number of problems alone - for example, thanks to the very
competitive environment, our mountain and countryside villages here in
Italy are not getting even reasonably stable dialup Internet
connections, let alone broadband. Competition alone might not solve all
problems, and policy should not just be concerned with ensuring competition.

Also, we should acknowledge that in many cases it is the Internet
industry itself that does a lot to prevent competition and deploy
policies and technologies that thwart it: see Microsoft for operating
systems, see net neutrality issues, see DRMs and trusted computing, etc.

I think that some people are oversensitive to the market & competition
buzzwords just because sometimes they are used to deny aspects like
these, and that's why some eyebrows were raised. But no one here
advocates the birth of the Global Emperor of the Internet.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org