[governance] Program for IGC at IGF

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at attglobal.net
Mon Oct 23 07:26:14 EDT 2006

Norbert,

The WSIS Declaration of Principles is a normative document.  It
describes how things should be, just like the Bible, the Koran, and
any number of other books and speeches.  Countries are free to act on
them or not as they see fit.  It is true that over a longer period of
time, some (but not all) such documents have a positive cumulative
effect.

With regard to China, obviously there are some very strong incentives
to spread the Internet, otherwise in such a controlled society it
would not have happened.

It is true that economies of scale play a part in lowering costs and
increasing competition, so one could argue that there is a floor
imposed by lack of scale that a country cannot go below.  this
reflects the real costs of being involved in thin markets.

I don't claim to be able to explain the behavior of the Internet
industry in all countries, but I will claim that an unbiased
competitive environment is generally essential, and government policy
matters a lot in achieving it.

George

     governance at lists.cpsr.org