FW: [governance] Program for IGC at IGF

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at attglobal.net
Mon Oct 23 07:36:21 EDT 2006

Comments below.

At 11:55 AM +0530 10/23/06, Parminder wrote:

>George
>
>  >I'm
>  > concerned
>  > about the economic health of the Internet industry in a
>  > country, and
>  > that's very much a function of the government's attitude
>  > toward
>  > competition, free enterprise, laissez-faire (or not), and
>  > transparency, in procurement, in giving licenses, in creating
>  > or
>  > destroying barriers to entry, etc....
>
>I know that is the dominant take on the issues, which we keep trying
>to challenge.

Why?  Why not see your own vision as a complement to it?

>  I know pro-competition policies are important, but has it occurred
>to you that large scale public investment in ICT infrastructure (and
>ICT infrastructure, apart from telecom access, also includes
>software, hardware, localization, service delivery systems etc)
>plays an important role in reaching the benefits to all people - as
>it has done in case of all important infrastructure in the
>yesteryears in developed countries as well. Indian governments, for
>instance, are putting in a lot of public investments into this after
>they have seen that private investments really did not reach ICT
>benefits to all.

Yes, it has occurred to me.  Check the writings in my bibliography.  Look at:

	http://www.internetpolicy.net/

the project that I've been directing for the lpast 5 years.    I want
the Internet industries in each country to thrive because of what a
strong Internet industry can do for social and economic development.

And when the government engages in various kinds of subsidization to
assist the industry  by investing in local capacities of various
kinds, so much the better.

>But I notice that you speak of the 'economic health of the Internet
>industry' and not about socio-economic development of  a country/
>society, so you may to that extent be right in your partial view of
>things.

Let's be clear.  Internet is a means to various ends, open societies,
pluralistic democracies, economic growth.  One can concentrate upon
the dynamics of the industry and still be very conscious that the
reason why it's important lies beyond the industry itself.

>This was however beside the point on the national versus
>international issues debate. But it does go to show that we all have
>a good view of the importance of national policy space (governmental
>or multistakeholder).
>
>So since we are on eve of an international forum, and the discussion
>started in that context, the onus is on whoever speaks that the
>'international space is not significant' and not the other way
>around. In a similar way, if we were in a national policy space
>speaking exclusively of importance of issues that pertain to
>international spaces and cannot be taken up nationally will be an
>avoidable distraction.
>
>  > Just trying to restore a sense of balance to the discussion
>  > ...
>
>So, the balance, in the present context, lies in engaging with what
>is important from a global policy spaces perspective.

And in not misidentifying what is important in the global policy space.