[governance] Updated draft agenda for igc at igf

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Mon Oct 23 05:02:55 EDT 2006

Avri, Hi, I'd like you to withdraw that request for a room on the final day.

At the moment the three workshop are rooms are free at lunch on
Thursday November 2nd. Other than the opening day, this is only time
when large space is available.  If different stakeholder groups start
asking for rooms, there won't be space left for other things.

I think we would be better trying to get people together, all
stakeholders, to discuss workshops (and panels and GigaNet for that
matter) and to try and build momentum for ongoing discussion around
those.

The purpose of IGF is multi-stakeholder policy dialogue.  Right now
we are a week away from a 4 day conference that as someone suggested
looks a bit like INET... not a bad achievement in itself in 5 months,
but not what IGF is meant to be about.  There is no mechanism
identified for starting and maintaining dialogue between Athens and
Brazil.  Right now it's pretty much conference as normal.

Be great for the caucus to be able to take stock and see where we're
going after Athens, but I think we'd be better spending this only
free time trying to push multi-stakeholder dialogue rather than
talking among ourselves (with private sector in another room and
government in another.)

If it were up to me, I'd offer space in these rooms to any workshop
organizer (there will be about 30 separate workshops in all.)  They'd
have a few tables and chairs set apart from others in the room so
people who were interested in their workshop could drop by and chat
about next steps.  We need to start thinking of ways to use Athens to
spark an ongoing dialogue.  This is the best I can come up with.

Thanks,

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org