[governance] Program for IGC at IGF

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at attglobal.net
Sun Oct 22 16:58:16 EDT 2006

Milton,

I'm concerned with a slightly broader aspect, although my focus in
this thread is clearly upon access, in a larger sense.  I'm concerned
about the economic health of the Internet industry in a country, and
that's very much a function of the government's attitude toward
competition, free enterprise, laissez-faire (or not), and
transparency, in procurement, in giving licenses, in creating or
destroying barriers to entry, etc....

The healthier and fairer that the industry is, the more prices to
consumers of Internet services will reflect real costs and not
monopoly status, the more customers are able to trust the access they
have as being confidential, then the faster the Internet will grow
and serve the developmental goals of the country.  And, if the
country has reasonable consumer protection legislation, it is likely
to really benefit the growth of e-commerce on the net and not retard
it.  These are issues that are directly affected by national
government policy, legislation and regulation.

What I do disagree with is Avri's assertion that it is ONLY on the
international stage that Internet issues can be dealt with.  I do not
disagree with the implication that there do exist issues that require
international attention.

Just trying to restore a sense of balance to the discussion ...

Regards,

George

     governance at lists.cpsr.org