[governance] McTim on the status quo

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Fri Oct 20 17:12:02 EDT 2006

>>> dogwallah at gmail.com 10/20/2006 10:19 AM >>>
>I'd rather participate in the already existent IG structures that
>actually make decisions that mean something.  The bodies that I
>participate in are already transparent in leadership section and
>policy making, and they are open to all interested parties.

McTim, you have made this point many times.

I would like to challenge your assertion about the transparency of
existing IG mechanisms with a fact you may not be aware of. During the
U.S. NTIA Notice of Inquiry proceeding in June, someone I know sent a
message to the ARIN policy discussion list, which is supposedly open and
unmoderated, asking quite innocuously what people there thought about
the NTIA proceeding and whether they planned to file comments.

The message never appeared on the list. It was blackholed, censorsed.
Apparently, someone at ARIN didn't want to permit an open discussion of
the relationship between ICANN (which delegates address space to ARIN)
and the USG.

While I am not aware of similar practices there, I participate
extensively in ICANN-related matters. ICANN's transparency and
accountability are still matters of considerable debate and discussion.

The Forum is a good and needed meta-venue for raising such questions.

I have participated extensively in both ICANN and domestic US
legislative and policy issues. Nevertheless, I find the Forum a useful
way to approach the global Internet governance issues from a holistic
standpoint.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org