[governance] Program for IGC at IGF

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Fri Oct 20 10:35:13 EDT 2006

McTim wrote:
> On 10/20/06, Jeremy Malcolm <Jeremy at malcolm.id.au> wrote:
>> Yet nobody else seems to be concerned, or am I wrong?
>
> I think you are correct, but I don't really care.
>
> I'd rather participate in the already existent IG structures that
> actually make decisions that mean something.  The bodies that I
> participate in are already transparent in leadership section and
> policy making, and they are open to all interested parties.

Not having a go, Tim - I appreciate the feedback - but I know that you
speak for a lot of others, and so I have to ask, do those other bodies
you refer to make decisions about:

* Freedom of expression on the Internet
* Responding uniformly to cybercrime
* Data protection and privacy rights online
* Equity in interconnection costs
* Consumer protection such as anti-phishing
* etc, etc, etc

Do you not care about these issues (fair enough), or do you think other
bodies are dealing with them adequately, or do you think they are
ungovernable?

Because speaking for myself, I do care about them, I don't think any
other body is dealing with them in a transnational and inclusive way,
and I think that the IGF is our first, best chance to do so.

But I am worried that the opportunity will be squandered and the IGF
become just another intergovernmental body in which the non-state
stakeholders serve no purpose but to feed input into independent
governmental policy-making processes.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor
     governance at lists.cpsr.org