[governance] Program for IGC at IGF

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Fri Oct 20 10:08:08 EDT 2006

Adam Peake wrote:
> "The Chairman asked a number of special advisers
> <http://www.intgovforum.org/ADG_members_chairs_Adv.htm> to assist him
> in this process. He also invited the Regional Coordinators to attend
> the meeting as special invitees."

Thanks Avri and Adam, but my main point was a broader one.  The MAG:

* Has conducted its proceedings behind closed doors, and on a
   mailing list which is neither open to non-members to join, nor
   to view its archives.

* Has not (correct me if I'm wrong) made any plans to improve its
   own accountability to the broader IGF or to transition to a
   more democratic (see Tunis Agenda para 73) form.

* There is no public register of nominees of positions on the MAG
   nor of the criteria pursuant to which the successful applicants
   were selected.

* However, preferential treatment does seem to have been afforded
   to those (including the IGC and ISOC - no complaints there, but
   the principle remains) privately contacted by the Secretariat
   to put forward nominees.

* And anyone who did not have the independent means to travel twice
   to Geneva was excluded from consideration (I think - correct me
   if I'm wrong).

Comparing (as I am in my thesis) the IGF to the IETF, the discrepancy in
accountability and transparency is stark.  Now, I don't say that this is
surprising, given the genesis of the IGF, but I do say that it cannot
continue, and that:

(a) if anyone is going to do something about it, it ought to spring
     from some of the people on this list; and

(b) it has to happen NOW, before Athens is over and preparations
     for Rio begin in earnest.

Yet nobody else seems to be concerned, or am I wrong?

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor
     governance at lists.cpsr.org