[governance] Caucus meeting in Athens

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Tue Oct 17 03:14:00 EDT 2006

Hi Adam,

> From: Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp>

> We need to decide what we want to do at a meeting on Monday 30th.
>
> We can have a room, but the question came back "what size"?
>
> If just usual suspects meeting then 10-20 persons.  If we reach out
> to all the people coming for CS organized workshops then the number
> is more like 40.  If an open invitation to all civil society
> interested, then it could be 100+

Just guessing, but I would ask for a mid-sized room for 50.   We don't need
an intensively focused usual suspects meeting because we're not drafting
text or planning lobbying or whatever, and if we're trying to reboot the
caucus with broader participation the priority should be to draw in new
blood.  But I suspect we're not going to get 100+ without serious outreach
to people who are not on the governance or plenary lists, and it's not clear
that anyone will step up and offer to identify and contact all those folks
in the time remaining.  If in the end only usual suspects + some show up
fine, we sit in a slightly oversized room and talk loudly if per usual
there's no microphones.

> If any thing other than "usual suspects" then some agenda, schedule
> and purpose needed.

Since we're not planning a joint intervention in the IGF discussions, why
don't we make it more inward-oriented, an informal informational session on
the caucus geared toward folks who weren't actively engaged in the WSIS
phase but might like to be now?  Maybe overview the charter and some past
position statements, talk about how people can get involved and what we
could do together going forward?

>700 people have no confirmed hotel rooms. There's
> no registration fee for the IGF, someone having made a room booking
> (cancellation fees apply), then that is a reasonable guide to the
> minimum number attending. Can expect at least 200 local people.

I'm not quite sure how to read this.  There are over 1000 registered but 700
don't have hotel rooms confirmed less than two weeks from the event?  So we
are completely clueless about how many people may actually attend?  Makes
planning events difficult...

> Whoever considers themselves coordinators, get coordinating please :-)

In the above scenario, perhaps you and Jeanette and/or others who were
involved back in the day could do a quick overview of caucus history,
positions adopted, and impact, and Avri could talk about the charter,
voting, and where we are now, then we just open it up for discussion?  Like
15 minutes total of presentation, very informal?  (sorry for volunteering
you---others here could also do this stuff if you three don't want to or
can't)

> Other things going on during lunch will be the new informal plaza
> (and food.) As the first day that might be the most important day for
> that activity.
>
> I would like to find a way for workshop organizers to showcase what
> they will be discussing: a place to meet and greet workshops.  And
> for workshop organizers to mingle among themselves. First lunchtime
> would be a good time to kick anything like this off.

Sounds good.  But to state the obvious, I'd think the higher priority is to
get actual programs for the workshops onto the web and printed out for
distribution on site.  Right now, all people have to go on when deciding
what to attend is the initial workshop proposals.  Presumably they might
like to know who's speaking at the workshops; I know I would.  The same goes
for the plenary sessions.  The thing starts in less than two weeks, and the
program is still a blank slate...

Best,

Bill

     governance at lists.cpsr.org