[governance] Effective participation ....

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Fri Oct 6 05:10:21 EDT 2006

Hi all

Using this thread on the difficulty for people who cannot afford to get to the
IGF (the statement from ACSIS that Ken posted)  to raise another
participation question.

Why are there so few participants from national IG communities in this
space, and it appears, going to the IGF?

APC has been talking with ISOC ZA (South African chapter) and the local
ISPA as we would really like someone to talk about content regulation from
a southern internet service provider's perspective at one of our workshops in
Athens.

As far as I found out no one from the South African ISP association or ISOC
chapter was planning to go. With a bit of luck and lots of good will I think we
will be able to bring someone from here (SA) to Athens who has a long track
record in working on IG issues as well as on content regulation as it impacts
on ISPs.

But the question remains.  Why is ISOC not making it possible for more
participants from their national chapters to make it to these global events?

And what is it the that IGF is doing, or not doing, that renders it not all that
interesting to national registries or operators?

The value of global ICT policy forums peaks when they interact with national
and regional processes (and actors) to support change that increases rights
and access, and lowers costs and barriers to users and operators at local
level.

Or am I wrong and will local actors (e.g. local/national consumer groups,
regulators, internet lawyers, operators, registries etc.) be there and I just
don't know about it?

Anriette

Anriette Esterhuysen, Executive Director
Association for Progressive Communications
anriette at apc.org
http://www.apc.org
PO Box 29755, Melville, South Africa. 2109
Tel. 27 11 726 1692
Fax 27 11 726 1692

     governance at lists.cpsr.org