[governance] IGC - where to go and how to get there

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Fri Oct 6 05:39:00 EDT 2006

Izumi and all,

>Of course, the real challenge for the Civil Society is how to go
>from here to there.

There are many real challenges for the CS.
Such challenges include, but are not limited to:
- mandate
- goals
- participation
- elections
- working system

The people in this list - they are the same in the last 4 years. Same
people go to the meetings. Long time ago I suggested that we form
some kind of an NGO, so that we could apply for funding, and start to
send new people to these meetings. This idea was note welcome.
Perhaps people who could come to the meetings, don't feel like
there's a need of fresh ideas. I, on the other hand, feel that we
need to bring new people, new ideas, new countries in our discussions.

The IGF is a good example of something that could make a difference.
It's up to us to see if we can use it to make this opportunity
reality. Obviously for the meeting in (less than) four weeks, it's
too late to organize well, but we need to think for 2007-2010.

I remember the first WSIS, where the CS made a big difference. It was
thanks to people, who are still on the list. I don't want to count
names, as I may miss someone. But the spirit we all had there, is
gone. There was substantial funding from Switzerland to bring people
from developing countries, and there were many people there, who
contributed a lot. But are they all still with us?

My proposal would be to try to create a system within the IGC that
will be working, regardless of the enthusiasm of the leadership. Or
in other words, what are we going to do if the few people who are
always taking the responsibility to lead our efforts (and often
initiate these efforts!), decide to go for a vacation? At the moment,
our system is working on enthusiasm and volunteers. That's a good
system, and it works, but it will work even better, if we can create
a mechanism that will regulate such issues. I wouldn't add more
details here, because if there's no desire in the list to change the
current model into one, which is self-sustainable, then it doesn't make sense.

Sincerely,
Veni Markovski
http://www.veni.com

check also my blog: