[governance] ITU IG Resolution

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri Nov 24 06:04:31 EST 2006

>Hi,
>
>On 11/24/06 12:34 AM, "Bret Fausett" <bfausett at internet.law.pro> wrote:
>
>>  That's an amazing resolution. My hat is off to anyone who can write six
>>  pages on the management of Internet domain names and addresses and not
>>  mention ICANN even once!
>
>Amazing perhaps, but also entirely predictable; did anyone really believe
>the spin that the Tunis Agenda constituted a unanimous intergovernmental
>bear hug for ICANN?  Moreover, while the TA called for enhanced cooperation
>on public policies to be started by the UN Secretary-General---involving all
>relevant organizations and stakeholders---by the end of the first quarter of
>2006, it seems that not much has happened besides some sotto vocci,
>selective bilateral/small-n consultations.  Not surprising then that
>governments would want to see the agenda carried forward on a multilateral
>basis in the ITU.  Of course, the "involving all stakeholders" language may
>be of little practical consequence in the ITU without reforms that will not
>be forthcoming in the near term.
>
>Some other notable bits of word-craft for deconstruction:
>
>"the development of Internet Protocol (IP)-based networks and the Internet,
>taking into account the requirements, features and interoperability of
>next-generation networks (NGN);"
>
>" Member States represent the interests of the population of the country or
>territory for which a ccTLD has been delegated;"

This is an interesting problem.  The US (USTR) is writing clauses
into bilateral free trade agreements requiring the ccTLDs of the
country signing the FTA to adopt some form of dispute resolution
policy. Example, words from the US/AU agreement goes on to also
indicate whois "each Party shall require that the management of its
country-code top-level domain (ccTLD) provide an appropriate
procedure for the settlement of disputes, based on the principles
established in the Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy.

2. Each Party shall require that the management of its ccTLD provide
online public access to a reliable and accurate database of contact
information for domain-name registrants."

Search string such as "ccTLD free trade agreement" in google finds a bunch.

I would think one way to read this is that US also thinks member
states control ccTLDs and can enforce rules  on them.  Not what I
thought the US position was in WSIS.  But I might be getting
hot&bothered over a non-issue...

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org