[governance] process suggestions

Sylvia Caras Sylvia.Caras at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 11:19:30 EST 2006

I've seen several interesting information society articles
recently.  Is this list an appropriate place to post interesting news
items about the future of the internet/web in general?  If not, where
should those discussions take place?

I'm planning to attend the Rio meeting and if you'd like, I have time
and energy for active involvement here on this list.

I'm the ICT liaison (Technical Expert) for the International
Disability Alliance.  I started email lists in the mid-90's to build
community among people with disability and live now near Silicon
Valley.  Details of my current service are here:
http://peoplewho.org/sylvia/resume.htm

In preparing for Athens there was conversation here on the list about
involving new people, how to better reach out.  I made some notes
while I was there and have been thinking this over.

I have some process suggestions.

I understand how it happened, but it is very confusing to have
several e mail discussions at several hosts, and several web
pages.  I also understand that this will probably continue.  So I'd
like to see in place somewhere a master web page with links to all of
this and explanations of what is what.  It's fine if it's here:
http://www.igcaucus.org/ with adding some entry level links and
explanations.  Or here: http://www.net-gov.org/list.php again with an
orientation for newcomers.  How much of the original WSIS related
structure is still valid, the lists, focal points, ... ?

The acronyms and agency interactions are confusing.  A matrix of
which is what and a list of what the acronyms stand for would be
helpful for orienting new people.

For instance, I can no longer find the web page where suggestions for
Rio were solicited.  I don't even know what to search for, to whom I
was giving input, ...  If someone has that link, please post it for me.

A project that would interest me and might be a helpful civil society
product would be to develop some generally accepted email posting
standards.  Just as business letters have a format (opening, closing,
addresses, date, ...) and press releases have formats (one page
preferred, contact info, ... ), so successful emails are signed,
brief, have white space, selectively quote, don't look like spam, ...
. http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html was last updated 24 October,
1995.  I think 'netiquette' , like 'netizen' , are not currently
familiar terms; perhaps something could be developed.  I'm not
suggesting a rigid standard but rather some guidelines or even simply
examples of good practices and some suggestions.

Sylvia

Sylvia Caras
www.peoplewho.org