[governance] Re: Letter to IGF Secretariat re website

Kieren McCarthy kierenmccarthy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 04:52:01 EST 2006

I think it may be worth reiterating the basic history and idea behind this
letter.

Jeremy Malcolm and myself (Kieren McCarthy) collaborated in the weeks
leading up to the IGF on a website that would allow some degree of online
participation into the process for the simple reason that a website didn't
exist and we felt this was a very large hole in what was supposed to be an
Internet Governance Forum.

The resulting website at http://igf2006.info proved to be far more
successful that even we had hoped to the extent that we had to move it onto
the IGF's servers (thanks to a very helpful IGF secretariat) on the day
before the conference opened, and then on the Wednesday demand was such that
it overwhelmed even this service and the UN's hosting company had to shift
it onto a bigger, faster server.

This confirmed what we had suspected (especially considering word of our IGF
site only emerged literally the day before the conference), which was that
there was great value and demand for an online collaborative site.

During the course of this process - which, let's be honest, was an
experiment - a large number of people from across all stakeholders,
government, business, civil society and so on expressed their gratitude to
us for setting up the site and asked if they could become involved in
something more structured for next year's IGF. Also, despite initial
uncertainty, the IGF Secretariat grew to understand and appreciate the role
that such a site could have for helping people collaborate with one another
and with them. Nitin Desai specifically mentioned improving online
collaboration next year in his chairman's summary.

However it was clear even during the conference that people were having a
hard time figuring out which of the three websites they should go to - the
IGF official site, the Greek hosts website or our unofficial site. In many
cases, information was repeated, in other cases you could only find vital
information on one of the three.

In brief discussions at the conference and subsequently, it struck a number
of us that if we followed the example led by the new-found "dynamic
coalitions" and pooled all our resources, that by the time of the Rio
meeting we could all be working together on a single website to everyone's
benefit.

Now, we don't know what are going to be the practical concerns from the IGF
Secretariat, from the host government, and from the other stakeholders that
took only a small role in our unofficial site. We do know that there is real
concern about the ability for people to control certain sections of a
website, for obvious reasons. But we really do think that if we open up
discussions we can work through whatever issues are thrown up, particularly
since the technology for this sort of thing (all of it, we should note, open
source) is now so flexible that it is just a matter of designing a structure
around people's wishes.

This letter therefore is intended to act as an invitiation to the IGF
Secretariat, who are the lynchpin in this scenario, to consider our
proposal. The hope is to make a good enough case that the IGF opens
discussions over how to achieve it. We shall see where it goes from there.

There is a balance to be struck here between speed and structure. To get
this letter in as soon as possible means that we have longer to make such a
coalition work. Equally, I understand that Markus Kummer will have some
early initial discussions with the Brazilian organisers next month when he
attends the ICANN meeting in Sao Paulo. So in that sense, it makes sense to
get this letter to the IGF Secretariat so at least the thought is in their
minds early on.

The downside to this is that, as yet, we have a very loose coalition of
people and no real structure for deciding how to proceed. The letter will
hold the signatures of interested individuals that share the same vision. It
is perhaps fortunate that these individuals are also highly capable and
knowledgeable about these sorts of issues, but our hope is really to show
the IGF Secretariat that this isn't just a whim, that people are serious
about making this work and so hopefully it will carry more weight.

As such I would encourage anyone that believes that all stakeholders should
work together on the online side of the IGF (to my mind this is obvious) to
put their name to the letter. If the UN/IGF Secretariat then thinks this is
worthwhile pursuing, we will sort out the issues of structure later.

Kieren

Kieren McCarthy
Homepages: http://www.kierenmccarthy.me.uk
Blog: http://www.kierenmccarthy.co.uk/