[governance] Revised version of letter to IGF re Web site

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Tue Nov 14 23:28:29 EST 2006

Here is a much revised (and more polite) version of the proposed letter
re the IGF Web site that I sent in draft a few days ago, courtesy of
Kieren McCarthy.  So far we have five people who are putting their names
to the letter, so here is a last chance for those who would like to add
their names also, to say so.  I intend on one of us sending it to the
Secretariat on Friday.

-----------------

Dear IGF Secretariat,

Congratulations again on the tremendous success of the first meeting of
the Internet Governance Forum in Athens.

Even though it was only a few weeks ago, our thoughts have already
turned to the meeting scheduled for November 2007 in Rio de Janeiro, and
this email will, we hope, serve as a useful start point in discussions
for how we can make the 2007 IGF meeting even more of a success.

In particular, we would like to concern ourselves with the online
element of the IGF, by which we mean the information, interaction and
collaboration achieved both before and during the meeting, as well as
the explicit intentions of many groups at the IGF to use the Internet
itself to help prepare for the next IGF.

One of the areas that can certainly be improved upon is an online
presence that acts as an authoritative source of information about the
Rio meeting, as well as promote the IGF as a venue, and facilitate
multi-stakeholder discussion.

We would argue that the system in place for the Athens meeting, where
there were three websites - a host site, an official IGF site, and an
unofficial collaboration site - was a good starting point but led to
some degree of confusion and can be improved upon in time for the Rio
meeting.

There is a risk that since important information has a tendency to
change rapidly during this type of meeting, that the updating of such
information (and its replication across several sites) can mean valuable
time, effort and resources are spent unnecessarily maintaining several
stores of data. In consequence, we would like to discuss ways in which
the most can be made out of pooled resources. In many respects such an
effort would mirror the very multi-stakeholder collaboration that has
become the IGF's hallmark.

Our current feeling is that the optimal solution would be to settle upon
a single website, or perhaps more accurately, a single Internet address.
Thanks to recent advances in Internet technology, it is now extremely
simple and cost-effective to allow multiple users to work on different
areas of a single website, with each area controlled by a different
person, and each able to radically change the approach, content and
appearance according to their particular needs.

There are numerous advantages to this approach, not least that an
outsider observer would only have to access a single Internet domain to
find all the information they need. Those working within the space would
also benefit from a sense of collaborative achievement, and since all
the information would ultimately be contained on the same space and the
same server, opportunities for the data itself to draw links would be
massively enhanced.

Other benefits include the fact that information could be more rapidly,
and universally, adjusted, lifting the burden off one individual to keep
permanently up-to-date. Equally, with areas outside someone's specific
field being dealt with by that area's best representative, it gives
everyone the opportunity to concentrate on where they excel, with the
net effect that better and more accurate information will be produced
across the board. This process may also have the beneficial effect of
attracting experts from under-represented fields to help contribute,
hugely increasing the value of such a site in terms of information
resources and credibility.

We feel sure that a new platform can be developed along these lines, but
it will require some discussion among all those involved so everyone can
be sure of the others' concerns and needs, and to ensure they are
adequately addressed. Thanks to the flexibility of Internet technology
we believe it is entirely possible that all issues can be dealt with,
making such discussion all the more worthwhile since it can be virtually
assured of a positive outcome. In the meantime of course, the value of
holding such discussions could prove immeasurably valuable for future
communication between stakeholders.

It is worth stressing that under the scheme broadly envisaged above, it
would still be possible for the Secretariat and the host country's
government to maintain exclusive control of particular sections of the
site which are to contain official information. This could be branded in
whatever way was deemed desirable to draw a clear distinction between it
and other areas of the site. At the same time, both the Secretariat and
the host government would benefit from the legion of volunteers that
would take menial and uncontroversial tasks off their hands.

Those signed below would like to volunteer our services to helping this
process get on its feet and take it forward. We believe such a process
would be incredibly worthwhile and have a broad positive impact across
all stakeholders and on the IGF itself.

There are a number of issues to be tackled, not least the question of
hosting such a site (although business would appear to be a good
starting point), but also that of agreeing a URL and what the basic
approach should be when allocating authority. And there is of course the
issue of ensuring that all those interested in such a proposal are made
aware of discussions before they happen.

At this stage, however, we ask only that you consider the proposal and
get back with your considerations and concerns.

Yours sincerely,

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor
     governance at lists.cpsr.org