[governance] Upcoming Coordinator vote

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Nov 9 15:22:59 EST 2006

Hi,

I am about to initiate the coordinator vote.

There were some bugs in the eVote software that have now been fixed
due to the very kind efforts of Marilyn Davis, the author of eVote
but not a member of our list.  Unfortunately because so much effort
went into chasing down the bug (which eliminated the vote of one
person from the record the last time) and because I have been
stretched to my limit between IGF, IETF and other obligations, we
will need to continue using the plain text email method of voting as
was used in the carter vote.  I, and others, will continue work on
the web interface and hopefully will have something more to offer
before the next time the IGC votes.  I know, I have said this before,
but the effort does continue.

After following the conversation on line about a one ballot process
or a two ballot process, I decided to hold one ballot that will
determine both the 2 year term and the one year term.  I also talked
to some election mavens and got a recommendation I will be following:

Each voter (Governance list participants as of 24 September 2006)
will be given 3 votes to distribute between the two candidates. A
minimum of 0 votes and a maximum of 2 votes can be assigned to any
one candidate.  This allows for people to give 2 votes to the person
they prefer for the 2 year term and 1 vote for the person they prefer
for the 1 year term.

There is, however, no requirement that a voter use all their votes.

The two year term will be assigned to the person with the most votes
while the other person will be assigned the one year term.

I will be sending the explicit voting directions out on the voters'
list and will follow up on this list after that with explicit
instructions as I did in the charter vote.

The vote is scheduled to last for 10 days: starting today 9 November
2006 and ending 19 November ends (any time zones - i.e. when).

The charter prescribes that all votes are open unless closed by the
coordinator.  As this is a vote for individuals and not on a
statement or a platform, I have decided, as interim coordinator, to
make it a closed vote.

Note: the charter does not have a required quorum for votes.  I hope,
however, that we can meet the same voting threshold as the charter
and intend to encourage the list to meet that level.  While
desirable, however, it is not required.

thanks
a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org