[governance] ITU IG Resolution

wcurrie at apc.org wcurrie at apc.org
Thu Nov 30 17:43:00 EST 2006

'An early and pro-active engagement with the 'public policy and its
institutional arrangement issues' can still serve to give a greater handle
to the civil society to promote (and safeguard) public interest.'

I agree with Parminder that we need to engage the issue directly and think
Adam's suggestion of a letter to Ntin Desai from the IGC is a good start,
followed by engaging the new UN SG and ITU SG in the new year.

I wasn't sure whether Milton's suggestion of looking at the analogy of the
free software movement meant getting an exact equivalent or  rather
producing a simulation of 'enhanced cooperation', which could include a
legal-type instrument addressing the ideal-type public policy principles
for the management of critical internet resources and then getting some
kind of rolling symbolic buy in from governments...like an inverse of the
bilateral free trade agreements..

the frontier on this issue is still there: USG, some developed country
governments, ICANN, ISOC and the private sector on one side vs EU, ITU,
most developing country governments and civil society on the other..
is this a case of maximising support around a single narrow set of demands
reagarding internet resources or putting together the broad range of
public policy issues on IG broadly understood.

My inclination is to go for the latter but use what was narrowly agreed -
enhanced cooperation - as the 'wedge' issue. Broadening it would put
pressure on the developing countries that are uncomfortable with rights
issues, but it may be possible to extract some of the democratic
developing countries to take a lead such as India, Brazil and South
Africa..and have three frontiers - 1. the hegemonic US bloc (USG, Japan,
Australia, ICANN, private sector, 2. the democratic bloc (EU, democratic
developing countries, civil society with Amnesty International) and 3. the
authoritarian bloc (ITU, China, Iran etc)- this, of course, may just be
wishful thinking aloud...when one thinks say of the rigidity of the G77 or
how India is operating within the US sphere of influence over nuclear and
economic issues...

willie

     governance at lists.cpsr.org