[governance] ITU IG Resolution

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu Nov 30 17:56:30 EST 2006

>  >>> parminder at itforchange.net 11/30/2006 7:04 AM >>>
>  >I think the civil society engaging with
>>IG issues need to give up its self-doubts in
>>frontally facing the 'public policy' question in
>>IG and the issue of institutional arrangements
>>adequate to this purpose.
>
>Good statement. Some of us have never avoided these issues. I would
>make two suggestions:
>
>1. You are now one of the coordinators of IGC therefore you are in a
>position to exert leadership and take initiative in this regard, so
>let's see some specific proposals. Adam made a one (send a letter to
>Desai asking what's up with Enhanced cooperation) which is fine although
>it is a very modest initiative.

Modest, or simplistic.  But I think before
sending in a detailed set of suggestions and
demands we should at least try to find out what
has happened over the past year.  This doesn't
mean not working on ideas that might be in a
later letter/statement, just take things step by
step (and we have a good set dating back to the
caucus' response to WGIG and the "Gallagher"
statement that may still be relevant at least as
a starting point.)

>2. The problem is that we need to find a point of leverage, which may
>or may not come from working within normal policy processes. The
>blocking power of one sovereign, USG, is not easily ignored or bypoassed
>in these international institutions. By way of contrast, the free
>software movement has gained leverage over the policy debate regarding
>its issues by creating its own institution -- the general public license
>-- embodying its values. Are there analogues that could be pursued in
>the IG arena?

Continuing to work on a framework convention  --
did a "dynamic coalition" come from Athens?

AND -- for those involved in dynamic coalitions,
it would be good to hear what's happening...
Still only 3 on the website
<http://www.intgovforum.org/Dynamic%20Coalitions.php>

AND --  also respond to the taking stock questions.

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org