[governance] In response to avri's volunteer proposal

Jeremy Shtern jeremy.shtern at umontreal.ca
Wed May 3 18:44:10 EDT 2006

Hi Avri and everyone,

I think what you have outlined below (the proposal for volunteers doing
a first draft of principles for each of the list topics) strikes a nice
balance between formal group drafting and rough, discussion based consensus.

Looking at the list however, I personally don't see how some of these
topics can be approached independently and simultaneously.

This is not to criticise the list and it might do nothing other than
prove I would be a bad volunteer; but it seems to me that some of these
categories need to be dealt with in a iterative drafting process; that
is to say for example that I find it hard to  imagine how we can tackle
the issue "decisions" (which presumably means decision making) without
first setting the parameters of "membership". I would raise similar
questions about pairs such as "objectives" and "tasks" or "objectives",
"vision" and "mission" and "relationship of IGC to CSP" etc.

Others however, I think can be tackled on a stand alone basis such as
"coordination", "working methods" etc.

Here are some suggestions of possible ways to accomplish this:

1.) If their are volunteers who think that there are specific topics
that they can personally do a first-draft of right now without any need
for prior clarification of other elements- independent variable topics
we could call them-  they should be encouraged to and thanked for so doing.

2.) With the remaining topics- the dependant variable topics- we could
then institute an iterative drafting process. This could be more or less
collective. One idea might be to invite volunteers to do something over
a shorter period (say 3 days) one after the other. In other words, for
example,  we would take a volunteer today to do "aim/mission" and then,
in 3 days discuss it on the list. At the conclusion of that discussion
we could take a volunteer to do "objectives". That way we would work
through the list (excluding the topics we define as 'independent
variable topics')  in not much more than Avri's 2 week period proposed,
but would examine each topic within the context of the somewhat
necessary context of the previous topics. When we have worked through
the list of dependant variable topics, we would then combine the first
drafts on these with the first drafts on the independent variable topic
and would have a 'full set' of first drafts.

3.) Another, less complicated possibility is to just group the similar
topics. That is to say that rather have 1 volunteer working
independently on "aim/mission" and another working independently on
"objectives"- and, as such running the risk that the two volunteers are
going to come back with entirely incompatible  perspectives on two
topics that really do need to be reflect each other, we could simply ask
for volunteers to do:

1. Vision; Aim/mission; Objectives; Relationship of IGC to CSP
2. Tasks; working methods
3. Membership; decisions (decision making)
4. Cordination

(Or some other alternative/better thematic grouping of the task on the
list) and then report back in 1-2 weeks as Avri suggests.

Discussion of these suggestions is of course contingent upon others
sharing the perspective that an iterative drafting process is required
to address our very useful list of topics in the way that Avri suggests.
That may well not be the case.

Kind regards from Montréal,

Jeremy Shtern
(Université de Montréal)