[governance] Comments and Draft of HR caucus proposal to IGF

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Fri Mar 31 08:48:35 EST 2006

Hi Bill and all,

Thanks for your comments. The proposal will be sent late today (after
22h CET), so comments are still welcome, specially on pieces that may
not be clear or be interpreted in an unintended way.

Le 31 mars 06 à 14:18, William Drake a écrit :

> I'll focus on the bits where my perspective is a bit different,
> rather than
> giving you a lot of amens on those where we agree, like the task
> force idea
> (I'd call it a working group, but whatever).

No, this is intended to be different from a working group. As many CS
comments have pointed, working groups should be set up for ongoing
IGF work between global meetings and/or issues that wont be
prioritized by IGF as global issues for the 1st year. Ideally, there
should be working groups for _any_ proposed theme (including WG set
up by CS only, if needed).
As clearly indicated in the HR caucus draft, the HR&IG task force "is
not a discussion theme per se, but both a substantive and operational
issue at the same time". Inter alia, the task force should serve as
an IGF "self-assessment" tool for its discussions/decisions w.r.t. to
FoE, privacy and the rule of law criteria. Suppose that the IGF
prioritizes, in fine, the spam issue, and that FoE is by no mean an
issue on its agenda (it may well happen). We want to make sure (if
only this task force is established...) that there is still a way to
monitor from the inside how the IGF will deal with spam, and that the
recommendations don't infringe FoE (and there are many features/
consequences of spam fighting that are _already_ infringing FoE...
I'm not speaking of FoE of spammers:)).

> 1.  I didn't have time to respond to the thread in which the idea
> first came
> up, but I disagree with the restrictive view that IG is only
> important for
> "issues that absolutely need central governance," meaning in your
> formulation cases where the Internet wouldn't function or where
> information
> society issues would oriented toward the sole interest of some
> parties.

I may agree on some of your arguments, and disagree on others, in a
general discussion/exchange of views. But, again, we should keep in
mind that the IGF will be/become a negociation arena, in some way or
another. So, strategically, we should avoid as far as possible to
engage in dangerous avenues. What is dangerous and what is not varies
according to different perspectives, obviously. But in any case, I
think we should avoid, at least before having seen where the IGF may
go (and Athens meeting will be us a rough idea of this), to raise
issues that indeed would be interesting to discuss from an
intellectual point of view, but would, in a post-WSIS context (and we
already have 4 years of experience with WSIS), be likely to lead us
where we may not want to go at all. For instance, I do understand why
many governments would prioritize cybercrime as a governance issue.
But I think it's rather irresponsible that CS components, or
individuals, propose it as an issue for IGF, maybe just because they
want to propose something in order to get involved. This 'expert/
consultant' posture is a dangerous game here.

> Regarding the first part, governance of course takes lots of
> institutional
> forms in response to lots of different functional and/or political
> collective action problems.  [...] Which configuration is best for
> a given issue
> depends on a bunch of parameters, so central governance is a pretty
> lumpy
> construct to recommend.

We have had this discussion on this list in early March, and I think
everybody agreed that DNS management needs some sort of central
governance. Now, the issue is to which extent things should be
centralized (more or less maximal, as in the current situation, or
less than that and with which guarantees, this is precisely the
subject of the proposed discussion).

> [...]
> Regarding the second part, a)  there is plenty of demand for regimes
> and programs that go beyond just making sure the net works,
> technically; and
> b) situations where there's a risk of capture by powerful interests
> are
> widespread, and indeed can arise in almost any example one might name.

Sure. But the proposal restricts them only to those that need central
governance, e.g. technical standards.

> 2.  I think it'd be helpful if you specified what aspects of
> infrastructure
> access beyond interconnection charging you think fits your criteria.

To answer very frankly, this proposal has been written according to
the lines proposed some days ago to the caucus members, and
interconnection costs was one of the three issues. So, there may well
be other aspects that also fits here under infrastructure access. But
the point wasn't here to deliberately exclude these possible other
aspects, but rather to push this one on the agenda. I'm personnally
open to discussion with you and others on this. In any case, I think
aspects mentioned in Parminder/IT for Change proposal would fit here,
but most of them are not strictly needing "central governance" from
the technical point of view, but rather global public policy
decisions (i.e. through international Conventions). You may argue
(I'm sure you will), that the issue of interconnection costs is not
either technical, and I may well agree (but don't tell this to
anyone:))).

> 3.  I have a little difficulty getting my head around your third
> recommendation.  You speak of making sure that technical
> standardization
> (often a rather decentralized process) for hardware and software do
> not
> restrict access to education, culture and knowledge, and I take the
> point
> with respect to DRM.  But then you talk about copyright weakening
> the UNESCO
> Convention, which is not really a technical standards issue.

In the proposal, this only refers to copyrights implemented in
technical standards: back to DRM, and to architectural standards,
etc. I hate to use the expression 'code is law' :), but it's the
central issue raised here, w.r.t. to right to knowledge. Note that,
in another context than the proposal to IGF, the same reasoning would
apply to tech standards w.r.t. to right to privacy and, although
probably to a lesser extent, to right to freedom of expression. But
this would be inconsistent with the strategical choice made re: the
task force for these issues.
I see no problem with your point that technical standardization is a
rather decentralized process. No consistency problem as regards the
proposal, I mean. The issue is indeed to say that this needs some
centralized governance (e.g. in terms of criteria to be respected,
not in terms of overall process of standard definition).
Let me exemplify this with the recent requirement of the French
copyright law which has created some emotion in the US - and
elsewhere -, as far as I've understood: this law, not yet adopted and
which has many bad provisions, BTW, has at least brought the issue of
DRM interoperability on the table (cf. http://www.edri.org/edrigram/
number4.6/frencheucd for a quick background reference). When required
in a national law, this obviously is hard to apply. When required as
the result of a "central governance" process, then it makes sense
and, let me add, would be highly desirable.

Best,
Meryem