[governance] GPLv3 implementation of "user centric identity"?

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Thu Mar 30 12:19:50 EST 2006

Milton Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> It sounds to me like you would be interested in a theme on DRM and
> its relationship to compatibility, "digital opportunity,"
> etc. rather than hanging those concerns onto a digital identity
> theme.

Definately not.  I'm not pushing in any way for those concerns
to be dicussed in any detail at the IGF.  That was just an
explanation _why_ I'm not going to support "user centric identity"
as a potential IGF topic unless there's someone who is committed
to implemeting whatever rough consensus emerges from the IGF
discussions, in software that is licensed in an explicitly
DRM-incompatible manner.

Actually I'm now convinced that my initial suggestion of using
the GPLv3 license isn't the optimal choice.  I now think that it
would be better to use an MIT X11 like license with an additional
clause (that could be taken from the GPLv3 draft) which
explicitly forbids use in DRM systems.

Greetings,
Norbert.