[governance] [Fwd: May 1-3, 2006 - Workshops on User-Centric Identity, held in Mountain View, CA]

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Thu Mar 30 11:16:59 EST 2006

of interest i think..

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[nten-discuss] May 1-3, 2006 - Workshops on User-Centric
Identity, held in Mountain View, CA
Date: 	Thu, 30 Mar 2006 09:30:10 -0500
From: 	Joe Baker <joe at nten.org>
To: 	nten-discuss at list.nten.org

*May 1-3, 2006 at Computer History Museum in  Mountainview CA*
May 2-3 main workshop.   May 1 1/2 intro/orientation to user-centric
identity.

Link to Registration
Page http://www.windley.com/events/iiw2006a/register.shtml

Link to this annoucement http://www.windley.com/events/iiw2006a/announcement

The Internet Identity Workshop focuses on user-centric identity and
identity in the large. Providing identity services between people,
websites, and organizations that don't necessarily have a formalized
relationship is a different problem than providing authentication and
authorization services within a single organization.

The goal of the Internet Identity Workshop is to support the continued
development of several open efforts in the user-centric identity
community. These include the following:

*Technical systems and proposal* like Yadis (LID, OpenID, Inames),
Identity metasystem, InfoCards, and the Higgins Project

*Legal and social issues* like Identity Commons, identity rights
agreements, and service providers reputation.

*Use cases for emerging markets *such as user generated video (e.g.
dabble.com), innovative economic networks (e.g. interraproject.org),
attention brokering and lead generation (e.g. root.net), consumer
preferences (e.g. permission based marketing), and civil society networking.

The workshop will take place May 2 and 3, 2006 at the Computer History
Museum. We will also have a 1/2 day on the first of May for newbies who
want to get oriented to the protocols and issues before diving into the
community. If you are new to the discussion, we encourage your
attendance on May 1st because of the open format we'll be using to
organize the conference.

*Format and Process*
At the last identity workshop we did open space for a day. It was so
successful and energizing that we will be using this format for both
days. If you have a presentation that you would like to make or a topic
that you know needs discussion in the community you can propose it here
on the wiki.

We will make the schedule when we are face to face at 9AM on May 2nd. We
do this in part because the 'field' is moving so rapidly that we your
organizing team are in no position to 'know' what needs to be talked
about. We do know great people who will be there and it is the attendees
who have a passion to learn and contribute to the event that will make it.

Part of the reason for moving to the Computer History Museum is to have
better space for running this kind of effort with an expanding
community. We expect a large and energized community to attend and are
counting on plenty of participation. Don't be put off by that, however,
if you're just getting into this. Come and learn. You won't be disappointed.

*Cost*
We are committed to keeping this conference open and accessible. Having
a venue that will support our doubling in size also means that it costs
a bit more.

We decided to have a tiered cost structure to support accessibility as
well as inviting those who are more able to pay to contribute. If you
want to come we want you there. If cost is an issue please contact us
and we can discuss how to make it work.

Students - $75
Independents/Nonprofits - $150
Everyone Else  - $250

The fees are used to cover the cost of the venue, organization, snacks
and lunch both days. We encourage you to pre-register since we will
limit attendance at the event to 200 people. The IIW workshop in October
sold out and we expect strong interest in this one as well.

*Sponsorships*
Our goal is to keep the workshop vendor neutral, but we will be
accepting limited sponsorships for the following:

Morning Break, May 2, and 3 ($800 each)
Afternoon Break, May 1, 2, and 3 ($800 each)
Lunch on May 2 and 3 ($2400 each)
Conference Dinner, May 2 ($4000)

If you or your company would like to sponsor one of these workshop
activities, or have ideas about other activities contact me. You will
not get any extra speaking time for sponsoring but you will get
thank-yous and community 'love.'

*Organizers for IIW2006:*
Kaliya Hamlin
Doc Searls
Phil Windley

*Logistical Support:*
The Brigham Young University Enterprise Computing Laboratory is
providing logistical support and backing for this workshop.

Kaliya Hamlin  |  e-mail & AIM : kaliya at mac.com <mailto:kaliya at mac.com>

Network Director Planetwork
www.planetwork.net

--