[governance] igc nomcom and other lists

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Tue Mar 28 14:00:31 EST 2006

Hi,

On 29 mar 2006, at 03.24, Milton Mueller wrote:

> I agree with Ian. It would be precipitous and somewhat destructive
> to call off the entire exercise simply because we had not reached a
> somewhat arbitrary limit.

I disagree.  The condition under which i took on this task where that
a sufficient number of people volunteered.  I thought this was
important because:

a. if enough are willing to volunteer it gives it legitimacy - i.e
that enough people on the IGC were willing to take a chance of either
having a bit too much work for 2 weeks or were willing to take a
chance at not being eligible for the IGF MAG candidate list  by
virtue of having been chosen to serve on the nomcom

b. unless there are at least 5 possibilities for each pick the
chances of anyone getting picked are too great. and it makes
volunteering for the nomcom and being disqualified from selection by
the nomcom for the MAG almost the same thing.  This is not the result
we need.

In any case, I think it is important for the legitimacy of it all for
me to stick to my original proposal which is the one I think got the
consensus of the IGC.  I will not chair it if we do not have enough
people according to the original proposal.  I do not think this
precipitous since that was integral to my original proposal.  And I
am not willing to change the original conditions under which I got
IGC consensus.

But, the good news, there is still time to volunteer and to recruit
volunteers.  I now have 17 volunteers, though I have had to remove at
least one name from the volunteer list due to the latest conundrum
and because it was felt that I had not been clear enough about the
condition of being excluded from the IGC MAG candidate list if
selected for the nomcom.  Let me be clear:

  - if you volunteer for the noncom
  - and if we get the minimum threshold of 25 people
  - and if you are subsequently chosen by the random process

  - then, and only then, you are disqualified from the IGC MAG
candidate list

a.