[governance] igc nomcom and other lists

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Tue Mar 28 00:23:42 EST 2006

hi,

a question came up and i wanted to gather some opinions.

-  someone is selected by the IGC nomcom and
    hence disqualified for the IGC's candidate list
-  but later is recommended by some other group for membership
    in the MAG.

the questions are:

- should that person consider themselves disqualified
   for participation in the MAG
- if they accepted such a recommendation for the MAG would it either
     - discredit the IGC process
     - or the individual.

   [ to put this as an hypothetical example -
      if i were a voting member of the nomcom
      would it be wrong if ISOC selected me as a candidate
        (note this is hypothetical since i have personally
         disqualified myself from any consideration for the MAG
         due to my occasional contract with the IGF secretariat
         and i have no knowledge about whether the ISOC is
         considering its own list.)
    ]

my first reaction was that the IGC nomcom rules about
disqualification would apply only to the IGC's list and should
therefore not affect the decisions of any other group.  likewise, the
actions of another group should not affect the IGC process and thus
it should not discredit our activity.

the issue of whether a person's personal reputation would be hurt is
another issue and one i find more difficult to answer.  i figure that
reputation is most relevant within this group and thus decided that
the best indicator would be involve a discussion on this list.  i
figure people on this list can offer their opinions, and anyone who
finds themselves in this position would have the opinions of this
group to guide them in their personal decision.

note, further possible complications are that
    a. someone could be suggested without their knowledge or explicit
permission
    b. someone could be selected without a specific recommendation.

thanks

a.

ps. we currently have 15 volunteers, if we don't get at least 10
more, the question is moot.